Friday, December 2, 2011

How can you save money by being a vegetarian?

I heard that you could save money by being a vegetarian, however I don't know where the savings come into play. I became a vegetarian so that I could stop harming animals. But I am the only one in my family who is, and I don't know how to make the cost of my food go down.|||It depends on what kind of food you buy %26amp; where you shop. If you ate a lot of processed junk as an omni %26amp; continue to do so as a veg'n, then you probably won't see much difference in the amount you spend. I honestly can't tell you whether I save money just by being veg'n since I've never had to shop for myself as an omni (been veg'n since I was 15, and vegan since 23), but I spend about $30-$40 (US) per week on average for groceries. I might spend more or less depending on what staples I might be out of, or if I want some kind of junk food, etc. I buy mainly whole foods %26amp; shop at my regular grocery store %26amp; go to the local health food store for a few things. I also buy a lot of things in the bulk dept....oatmeal, rice, nuts, flours, quinoa, etc. Stay away from health food store chains (Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, etc.) if your goal is to save money. In the summer, I have my own garden %26amp; shop farmer's markets more than anywhere else and I join a CSA every year, so I save a significant amount of money then compared to the rest of the year.|||Well, the reason your food cost hasn't gone is because you are the only one is a vegetarian. You would all to become vegetarians in order to see a difference in prices.|||Well, what are you comparing your spending on? Did you only buy food for yourself when you weren't a vegetarian?


Because your cost might actually be low for one person, but like the person before you can't see a difference unless everyone became one in terms of food prices.


A good way to bring cost down is to buy seasonal veggies and to shop around for prices. Veggies are sometimes cheaper at Trader Joes than Safeway or might be cheaper at local food markets. Loose grains I find are cheaper and are more controllable in waste than buying prepackaged. Different kinds of milks are different prices from soy to regular. Also, planning your meals a week ahead and buying strictly for those meals helps too.


However, all of this will only make the cost go down just a little.|||this is the way i look at it... it can be cheaper because youre not buying expensive steaks and filet mignon. also usually the meals at restaurants (more like appetizers) are cheaper than the ones with meat in them. however if you didnt eat that expensive stuff in the first place its really not that much cheaper. especially if you buy soy products, veggie meat, organic stuff... that stuff isnt cheap at all.|||Simple. I buy for my Lady and myself and I only spend 30-50 bucks a week.


Are you buying those frozen/premade vegetarian stuff? If you are, then no need to think about why your money isn't staying in your wallet. Make your own foods. Buy bulk! Bulk dry beans, bulk dry peas, loose vegetables, loose fruits, frozen fruits, frozen veggies, bulk seeds, bulk nuts, bulk flours, bulk nutritional yeast, etc etc. Buying bulk saves you tons of money and you get all that you need, whether it's a lil bit or a lot. Gotta be money smart when it comes to grocery shopping..and kinda try to plan ahead. Doesnt' work for me though, cause i know what I run out of, but just a suggestion incase it works for you.|||Don't buy the processed boxed stuff. Stick to whole grains, beans and a variety of frozen veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment