Tuesday, December 6, 2011

How do you parents save money on food now, since the economy is bad?

I am a stay at home mom of a two year old, and want to save some money on groceries, can you help me out?Do you buy more when the price is good? Do you use coupons? Are there any good websites that carry food coupons? Do you buy less? Help me out with some money saving tips. Thank you|||We eat less meat, buy food when it's on special, freeze leftovers and don't eat between meals. I also check out the supermarket discounted shelves for cheap meat (stuff that is about to go out of date) and buy to freeze - that saves loads if you have a good discounting supermarket near you. coupons are good and here in the Uk I usually find the big stores like Tesco take coupons even if you didn't buy the product. we have also downsized on brands and buy supermarket own or no frills brands alot. Eat more pulses too, they work out cheap. markets are good for fruit and veg, eat what's in season and it's pretty cheap. good luck with your moneysaving.|||If you can get WIC get that. If you can't here's what we've been doing: 1. Buying less.


2. Buy a TON if it's a great sale %26amp; you know you won't see if for a while.


3. Coupons coupons, but check the store brand which is sometimes cheaper even w/coupons for another brand.|||Buy generic stuff and stuff on sale and make things from scratch (like make marinara sauce rather than buy jarred sauce). Usually in each section what you are looking for is always on sale, though it may be the generic kind. So just go with that one.





I tried clipping coupons for awhile but it became such a hassle to always get the paper, go through it, then remember to bring coupons and dig through them all to find some for items you need and it didn't save me all that much. I think coupon clipping has to be well planned out to be effective.





Also if you have a place like Costco, their generic stuff is pretty good, like their laundry detergent and all, so buy that stuff there and paper towels, etc. - buy it in bulk (you can also buy bulk meat if you have a big freezer and that save s a ton)|||we spend about 100 dollars a week on food for a family of 5.. i use any coupons i can find in the papers for things that i use, i don't have a printer right now or else i'd be looking online for coupons as well!


We definitely buy less..we look at what we need and if we are low on money that week, we don't get things that are not necessary!|||I do my shopping at 3-4 stores. I shop sales at the main grocery stores, I get things like laundry detergent, dish washer soap, toilet paper, etc, at Big Lots. I go to the grocery store mid-week early in the morning and get the cuts of beef from yesterday that have been marked down 20-40%.





I also use a lot of frozen vegetables. Store brand peas, corn, green beans, carrots, etc. They are a lot cheaper then fresh and you don't have to use them right away which is awesome.





I love store-brand stuff. And it goes on sale a lot. I was getting great pasta for 33 cents a lb. Day old bread stores are great if your family likes donuts and bagels and of course bread. When your family goes through it quick anyway the day old part isn't a big deal.|||We do a lot of bulk shopping and have a big freezer.





Also, very little eating out. If we're not gonna have time for a regular dinner, my wife will cook it earlier in the week and we'll heat it up that night.|||I buy things like meat and cheese that I can freeze only when it's on sale. I have a deep freeze and also got a quarter of a cow, it comes out to $2/lb for all different cuts of meat all packaged and cut up. I also stock up on nonperishables such as spaghetti sauce, mac and cheese, noodles, canned soup, when on sale. If nothing I need is on sale I only buy weekly perishable foods like milk, bread, and fruit. Once every couple months I stock up on the sale stuff and spend a good $100-150, each other week our bill is only $25-30 for 3 people.|||i usually buy whats on sale and a lot of it...i freeze sale veggies they can be used for almost any meal and if they are on sale they are usually cheap! and cook, dont eat out. I dont use coupons they just want to make u buy more, because for me, usually the coupons are for things i dont really need.|||Me and my mom save money by going to our farmers market.


We also shop at price clubs like Cosco


we get groceries that are mainly on sale, but let's face it, not everything is. I personally found that organic stuff is cheaper.


Then again, we don't spend a lot because we're not big meat eaters, which costs a lot.


You can find coupons everywhere, literally just google it.


Be sure to check your grocery flyers for their sales.|||We have started saving a lot of money by changing our shopping habits. We go shopping now with a very clear list of what we need for the week. The list is based on a menu that we put together before we leave the house. I've found that developing the menu on the fly at the grocery store led us to buy way more food than we needed. We'd end up throwing a lot of food away at the end of the week.





I've also found that we're now buying fewer packaged products and making things from scratch more. This saves lots of money. On the weekend, we make two or three great main great dishes from scratch (vegetarian chili, lentil and mushroom soup, parmesean crusted chicken, lasagna, etc.) and eat the leftovers for several meals. This also saves us tons of time during the week.





Buying less meat saves a lot of money too. We've been using more beans and other proteins (Quinoa is great!) instead of meat, which is quite pricey.





I've read that if you stay around the perimeter of the store, you'll eat more healthfully and reduce your grocery bill!





There are several coupon sites, but I've found that we don't buy most of the items that the coupons are for because they're mostly packaged stuff. Not that we don't buy ANY packaged items. The store promos are usually pretty good, though. They include meat, eggs and produce, so I always look at what's on sale at the store.|||I work for a foodservice warehouse and our discount helps a whole bunch.


I buy meats, cereal, frzn veggies,frz soups, flour, sugar, coffee, tissue paper all in bulk.


We have everything grocery stores have.


and as far as household stuff, I Freecycle alot too, and shop the charity thriftshops.|||I'm not yet a parent, but I am the queen of thrifty shopping, so I can help a bit.





-I look through all ads that come to my door and will go to a different grocery store if their weekly deals can be used.


-When I do find deals, I stock up. They had a 39 cent per pound sale on turkey. You better believe I took up that offer, cooked the bird, and froze the meat for later use.


-I buy bulk products that can be "mixed and matched." Bargain bags/packages of meat, frozen veggies (or buy fresh and freeze yourself,) and staples like beans, rice, and noodles are cheap, store well, and like said, you can mix and match to make different recipies.


-And yes, I am a coupon master. Recently, I've been saving about 20% of my total bill just with the coupons I clip. With a typical bill of $100...I save $20. I get bragging rights for that!





Here are two sites to help:


Redplum is a coupon site. Sign up and you can have the circular sent to your home so you can clip coupons. http://www.redplum.com/ If you are military...http://www.militaryshopper.com





HillbillyHousewife is a site that offers all kinds of money saving tips (don't let the name turn you off...it's actually a great site.) http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/index1鈥?/a>|||good timing lol, i just found a really good site for coupons and free samples yesterday that i have been using. http://www.mysavings.com/ WELL worth it, its a free site, you just register, then print out what coupons you want and go through the free samples section, within the next 2-10 weeks (it varies by item) i should have a truck load of free samples lol...give it a try, its ALL kinds of every day items, and most of the coupons are a dollar or more off








plus we butcher a beef and a hog every fall, so theres out meat for the year....145 dollars for a hog, around 300 usually for a beef, and thats enough meat to last till next fall. if you go buy it by the pack at the store, youre going to be hurting though.|||COSTCO


拢 25 A YEAR FOR INDUVIDUAL MEMBERSHIP EXC VAT|||I admit, I was pretty horrible, when it came to sticking to the grocery budget, but now that my husbands' hours have been cut, I *have* to.





I found some websites that give advice about cooking from scratch, which saves quite a bit, compared to convenience foods... One I like (and I know it sounds silly) is:





hillbillyhousewife.com





Type in menus on a dime, and they have some ebooks, which tell ways of saving money, too.





I always make a list, and try to stick to it... Without it, you're much more likely to over-spend; tossing unnecessary things in the cart. I also see what weekly (I shop every Friday) specials they have, and try to plan menus around that.





I make every attempt to keep it *under* budget, so there's a rollover fund, for next week; which helps when there's 'extras,' such as trash bags, paper towels, etc., that suddenly need to be bought... When I find I have more money than usual (thanks to saving, the previous week), I buy more than usual, so there's less to buy, next time... Makes it faster.





I buy noodles and gravy packets, and meats, and usually we have enough for lunch the next day, which cuts costs... I have 4 kids, so we're a family of 6, and I manage to feed us all on $160 or less, a week. (True, the baby is nursing, but, still!) We also have two cats, two turtles, and 5 dogs!! None of us go hungry... We even had money for extras, before his hours got cut; now we use leftover grocery money, if we need it.





Buying in bulk can help, and I use powdered milk, at least half the time, which saves on milk costs... Powered milk is great in recipes, too! Pastas are really easy---and fairly cheap---to buy LOTS, and have plenty for another meal.





We even have take-out, one night a week; using coupons, or having it on their bargain night... We rarely drink pop; we all love water. :)





Good luck!|||Buy fruits and veggies at your local farmers market. They're cheaper and most of time, they are organic, they just don't have the "organic stamp of approval" from the FDA. (The process of becoming a certified organic farmer is costly and most small farmers can't afford it). If you have room in your yard, start a small garden with the veggies that your family eats the most of. My family loves tomatoes and cucumbers so I grow them outside in the summer months and I grow them inside in the winter months. Freeze leftovers so they last longer. Buy in bulk and use coupons.|||www.allworldcoupons.com has a tab for grocery coupons...I believe they utilize 2 different sites...hope that helps...|||This is a great site for free coupons


http://wherecanigetfreestuff.com/categor鈥?/a>


Mostly for free food and cosmetics








This are other great free samples sites:


Get Free Things


http://twitter.com/GetFreeThings





Where can I get Free Stuff?


http://wherecanigetfreestuff.com





Free Birthday Gifts


http://wherecanigetfreestuff.com/categor鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment